Thursday, December 28, 2017

The cheesemakers of Canterbury


Cheese-wise, 2017 was a good year. I returned to several old favourites and discovered a couple of outstanding new cheeses, including a vintage cheddar (strength 5) from Tesco. My cheese discovery of the year, though, has to be Cheesemakers of Canterbury and their range of artisanal cheeses. 
It was impossible to miss the Cheesemakers of Canterbury counter on my first visit to The Goods Shed farmers’ market and food hall in Canterbury. I returned soon, for a chat with George, who manages the counter, and a taste of several of their cheeses including Ashmore Farmhouse, Ashmore Smoked, Ancient Ashmore, Gruff and Canterbury Cobble. While I enjoyed them all, the Farmhouse, Canterbury Cobble and Ancient Ashmore stood out, especially the slightly intense Ancient Ashmore. They were the cheeses that found their way into my bag and the sliver of Kent I took back home with me.

No comments: